Friday 14 August 2015

Carol Marine's Painting a Day - "Layers"

CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY   8/14/15
 "Layers" - 6x12in. - NFS
 
I've redone this one a couple of times and decided I'm STILL NOT proud of it enough to sell. Alas. But it does illustrate a point I've been promising to make.

This is my final one from Hood River. And it has lots of layers going back into the distance. They say as stuff goes further back it gets cooler because of "atmosphere." I've realized that if you can keep your palette organized as you make your layers, it's much easier to do this, because often the difference between one layer and the next is really, really subtle, and it takes seeing the two colors right next to each other to really get it. So I've made this example, from the photo, taking samples of the colors from each layer and putting them in order (the light side and shadow side of each layer), in the same order I try to mix them on my palette. I haven't gotten a good picture of this on my actual palette because ... well because by the time I think of taking a photo it's gotten messy, but the concept is still a good one.



Notice that the lights get darker as they go back, and the darks get lighter, and in general the values get closer together and not nearly so "contrasty." I've been doing lots of driving this summer, and really noticing this happening as I stare out the window at the landscapes around me. Try it! But uhhhh, watch the road too!
 
-Carol
Quick Links

My Workshops

 

I'm taking 2015 off from teaching workshops.
 
Meanwhile check out my ArtBytes (online tutorials), and instructional book,
Daily Painting, available on Amazon:

 
Find Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Facebook! Follow Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Twitter! Connect with Carol Marine's Painting a Day on LinkedIn! Read our Blog!
Forward this email



This email was sent to lotus311.shop@blogger.com by me@carolmarine.com |  


Carol Marine's Painting a Day | 1560 Em Ray Dr | Eugene | OR | 97405

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.