Friday 10 October 2014

Carol Marine's Painting a Day - "City Grays"

CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY   10/10/14
 "City Grays" - 6x6in - click to bid
I've been experimenting with different holds on my brush. Usually I hold mine like a pencil, and I think I get more controlled marks with it, but for this one (an NYC rainy day scene) I tried holding it near the end. The result is a bit messier, but also looser in a certain way. I will keep experimenting. Perhaps a combination of the two, depending on what kind of marks I want...

And speaking of brushes, I learned something that will save me (and hopefully some of you) money!! I know for certain this works on the brushes I mostly use (Silver Bristlon brights, and Rosemary Ivory short flats), which are synthetic (and wonderful) but can't say for sure about any other kind. When they get frayed at the end, brush them back and forth on the bottom of a pan full of boiling water. This pulls them back into shape like magic. I tried it the other night and was amazed. I'm so glad I put off throwing away my old brushes!

-Carol

Quick Links

My Workshops

 

2014
 
Nov 10-14, San Antonio, TX, register here - FULL w/ wait list

*I'm taking 2015 off from teaching*
 
---
 
Preorder my new book,
Daily Painting, on Amazon:
 
 
Find Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Facebook! Follow Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Twitter! Connect with Carol Marine's Painting a Day on LinkedIn! Read our Blog!
Forward this email



This email was sent to lotus311.shop@blogger.com by me@carolmarine.com |  


Carol Marine's Painting a Day | 1560 Em Ray Dr | Eugene | OR | 97405

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.