Wednesday 10 September 2014

Carol Marine's Painting a Day - "Dappled Rocks"

CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY   9/10/14
 "Dappled Rocks" - 8x8in - click to bid

This is my last (and personal favorite) from my Hood River trip (of the half I've deemed worthy of posting). For this one I used a little trick. I've had this app on my phone for years that lets me look at just the values of a scene. It's meant for plein air, but have I used it for that? No. Until this day, when I pulled it out to make sure there was enough contrast in the scene to make it interesting. I actually took 2 pictures, one of this and one of another possibility, before I started. Then I flipped back and forth between the two, and picked my favorite. The app is called "Value Viewer." I also noticed, in the black and white version, that the rocks in back that are in total shadow, were critical to the whole scene working.  As the light changed, these rocks changed, but I made sure to keep them in shadow in the painting.

-Carol

Quick Links

My Workshops

 

2014
 
Nov 10-14, San Antonio, TX, register here - FULL w/ wait list

*I'm taking 2015 off from teaching*
 
---
 
Preorder my new book,
Daily Painting, on Amazon:
 
 
Find Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Facebook! Follow Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Twitter! Connect with Carol Marine's Painting a Day on LinkedIn! Read our Blog!
Forward this email



This email was sent to lotus311.shop@blogger.com by me@carolmarine.com |  


Carol Marine's Painting a Day | 1560 Em Ray Dr | Eugene | OR | 97405

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.