Saturday 16 February 2013

Carol Marine's Painting a Day - "On the Verge

CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY -  2/16/13
"On the Verge" - 6x6in. - click here to bid

On the Verge
Since I got a few confused emails I thought I'd clarify that my post the other day about lights was what I use to light my still life. Recently I have heard it's best to light your still life, painting and palette all with the same light. Unfortunately I didn't get the memo early enough and have been doing that all wrong for years (among other things). And since I feel honestly that it can be done either way, I will now show you how I light my painting and palette.

My studio I have a north facing window in my studio directly next to my easel, but since I live in Oregon where the sun isn't terribly reliable, I also use a florescent light directly above my easel. I bought a nice fixture (the cheaper ones buzz and flicker) and installed 4 bulbs. Unfortunately I found my paintings were often too dark, so I removed the bulbs one by one until I had just one left. This seemed to be perfect. Then I met an artist who used two bulbs (one warm, one cool) and so I tried that. I like it, but with 2 bulbs again I found it too bright. My solution? I covered parts of the light with tin foil to cut down the light (so you know I have an 8 ft ceiling). This is perfect for me now ... until I find something better.

I use Philips, Alto, T8, Natural Light (5000K) and Cool White (4100K). The balance is a little on the warm side, but I reason most paintings are going to hang in a warmer light, so it behooves me to paint in the same. If you have a different opinion I'd love to hear it.
 
 
-Carol
Quick Links

My Workshops
 
2013

April 15-19, 
San Fran, CA 
register w/ Sedona Arts Center
FULL w/ wait list

May 6-10, Nanaimo, BC, 
Canada
to register email Mary
FULL w/ wait list
 
June 10-14, Boothbay, ME
to register email Lee
FULL w/ full wait list

Find Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Facebook! Follow Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Twitter! Connect with Carol Marine's Painting a Day on LinkedIn! Read our Blog!
This email was sent to lotus311.shop@blogger.com by me@carolmarine.com |  
Carol Marine's Painting a Day | 141 Comanche Dr | Paige | TX | 78659

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.