Tuesday 23 January 2018

Carol Marine's Painting a Day

  CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY   1/23/18
   

Click Here to Bid - 6x6in. - "Serene Team"

I've gotten kind of obsessed with these cups and this vantage point. And this drawing and painting of cups makes me think about everything I've learned from observing them for so long. Which inspires me to put out some little, mini lessons, about cups - see below.

  Click Here to Bid - 6x6in. - "Take Your Medicine"

MINI LESSON - CUPS (1 of 8):

I've talked about this before, but I thought I'd cover it again since it's probably the first thing I think about with cups. So, I've set up a cup(s) and am going to draw it. First I find its boundaries: top, bottom, left, right, & ellipse bottom. I've drawn dashes to indicate these 5 boundaries in the picture below. I draw these same dashes on my surface (canvas, panel, etc.), with paint, trying to get them in the right places. If I have other objects in my setup, I place their boundaries as well (top, bottom, left, right), before going further.



Next I draw one vertical and one horizontal line (as shown) through the cup. Now I just need to draw the ellipse so that each of the four quadrants are equal pieces (no, you sticklers, they are not exactly equal, but I personally am not shooting for exact in my paintings - perfect is the enemy of good enough). Then I draw the two quadrants of the front (side) of the cup, making those two mirror images of each other.

If you are instead looking more down at your cup (this also works for bowls & plates), the proportions will be different, and so your boundaries and cross will look different. Here is an example that I have drawn.


The idea of drawing the dashes first and only completing the cup once you are sure these are correctly placed is to save you the effort and heartache of painstakingly perfecting your cup only to realize it needs to be moved over 1/4". Been there, done that?The "cross" helps to ensure that your proportions are correct. Handles come next.

If you have questions, please ask them in the comments for this post on my blog so everyone can benefit from the answers. I will get to them as quickly as I am able. Thanks!


------------------------------------------------------------------------
  
  Here are other painting(s) that are still available:

Yours in art,
-Carol
Quick Links

My Workshop(s)

July 3-14, '18 - France 
- FULL - get on wait list 

I am no longer teaching still life workshops, sorry. : (
 
Check out my ArtBytes (online tutorials), and instructional book,
Daily Painting.

 
Follow Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Twitter!Connect with Carol Marine's Painting a Day on LinkedIn!Read our Blog!
Carol Marine's Painting a Day, 1560 Em Ray Dr, Eugene, OR 97405
Sent by me@carolmarine.com in collaboration with
Constant Contact

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.