Sunday 20 November 2016

Carol Marine's Painting a Day

CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY   11/20/16
   
Hello again from Germany! 


 Click Here to Bid - 6x6in. - "Just One Shot"
(won't ship until December)

I've been meaning to do this for a while - paint an example of how value does all the work but color gets the credit. After painting this one above, I did this other version where all the colors are in the right family, but the values are mostly wrong. You can see how the colors are still interesting, but nothing holds together - the scene is only vaguely 3-dimensional. Honestly, I could have (and meant to) push it a lot further (make the values WAY wrong), but my brain pushed back against it. I will try again someday.



Value is the number ONE thing I end up helping my students with. If you want your painting to look 3-D, you've got to get the values right.


Click Here to Bid - 6x6in. - "Hangin' Mostly Out"
(won't ship until December) 

While we are here in Germany, we find ourselves needing to understand a lot of German. Duh. Since I don't know all the words (understatement of the year), I end up letting the German sort of wash over me, and trying to get the gist, looking up words when I'm lost. By the end of the day my brain is spilling out of my ears. I'm sleeping 10 hours at night and still exhausted by 8pm!

We are here for one more week and then we begin the long journey home. 1 day in the train. 1 day in the plane. And one day in the car. Verrückt (crazy)!
-Carol
Quick Links

My Workshops

October 17-21, '16: San Antonio, TX - register  - FULL w/ wait list

May 11-20, '17: Provence, France! register here
 - FULL w/ wait list
 
Also check out my ArtBytes (online tutorials), and instructional book,
Daily Painting, available on Amazon:

 
Find Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Facebook! Follow Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Twitter! Connect with Carol Marine's Painting a Day on LinkedIn! Read our Blog!
Carol Marine's Painting a Day, 1560 Em Ray Dr, Eugene, OR 97405
Sent by me@carolmarine.com in collaboration with
Constant Contact

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.