Wednesday 13 July 2016

Carol Marine's Painting a Day - "A Strenuous Hike"

CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY   7/13/16
 "A Strenuous Hike" - 8x8in. -  click here to bid
     
I finally made myself do something that I've been telling myself to do for years! I copied a painting I like by a famous artist in order to learn stuff. This one up above is not it. It's this one to the right. The original is by Edgar Payne, and it was much bigger, so mine is a simplified version.

In attempting to copy this painting, I found mainly that I had to use a different brush than my normal flats/brights to get it to work, which was a huge revelation. I ended up using a round brush (Rosemary Evergreen, size 6), which I found very fun and satisfying!

So I took my round brush and did the painting up top, from one of my own reference photos that I took last summer in a spot incredibly close to Edgar Payne's scene. You can see there is less snow now. And, truth be told, I actually made up extra snow.

The lake in the copy is Ediza, and I'll be painting there this August for a week with my pals! But what I really wanted to say is - copy paintings you like (don't sell the copies)! You'll learn a TON.


-Carol
Quick Links

My Workshops

2016

October 17-21: San Antonio, TX - register  - FULL w/ wait list
 
Also check out my ArtBytes (online tutorials), and instructional book,
Daily Painting, available on Amazon:

 
Find Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Facebook! Follow Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Twitter! Connect with Carol Marine's Painting a Day on LinkedIn! Read our Blog!
Carol Marine's Painting a Day, 1560 Em Ray Dr, Eugene, OR 97405
Sent by me@carolmarine.com in collaboration with
Constant Contact

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.