Wednesday 27 April 2016

Carol Marine's Painting a Day - "Pile o' Matoes"

CAROL MARINE'S PAINTING A DAY   4/27/16
 "Pile o' Matoes" - 6x6in. -  click to bid
  
I did 2 tomato paintings before this that were super rusty and...basically not post-worthy. The thing I was having trouble with was getting the dark reds dark enough. So I fussed and fussed and killed the poor things. My solution, finally, was to pick an average red from the tomatoes (a middle value that I saw, which turned out to be a red mixed with some blue and yellow), paint the whole tomato area with that, and then put the lighter and darker reds on top of that first color. I have seen, over and over, in myself and my students, trouble getting reds and yellows and oranges dark enough. In general. This is especially prevalent when the value changes are subtle, as in tomatoes and egg yolks.

-Carol
Quick Links

My Workshops

2016

May 9-13: Springfield Oregon - register - FULL w/ wait list
May 23-27: Springfield Oregon - register - FULL w/ wait list
October 17-21: San Antonio, TX - register 
- FULL w/ wait list
 
Also check out my ArtBytes (online tutorials), and instructional book,
Daily Painting, available on Amazon:

 
Find Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Facebook! Follow Carol Marine's Painting a Day on Twitter! Connect with Carol Marine's Painting a Day on LinkedIn! Read our Blog!
Carol Marine's Painting a Day, 1560 Em Ray Dr, Eugene, OR 97405
Sent by me@carolmarine.com in collaboration with
Constant Contact

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.